Mabes Makes: Black Bean Chilli
by Mabel Lloyd
An easy midweek dinner packed full of flavour. Delicious served with fluffy rice, fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime. Also works perfectly with tacos or wraps!
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and sliced
- 1 orange or red pepper chopped
- 1 large pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tin black beans, drained
- Handful fresh coriander
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Squeeze of lime to serve
1. Add a generous glug of olive oil to a large, deep pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 mins on a medium heat
2. Add the chilli flakes, cumin seeds and powder, ground coriander, smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper
3. Add the chopped peppers and cook for a further 4-5 minutes
4. Once the onions and peppers are coated, add the sugar and sherry vinegar and stir thoroughly
5. Add the plum tomatoes and puree and cook with a lid on for 10 minutes
6. Stir in the black beans and cook for a further 10-15, allow to gently bubble
7. Finish by stirring in a generous handful of freshly chopped coriander
8. Serve with fluffy rice, fresh coriander, a squeeze of lime and cheese!
Shop the article
Three Ways Your Life Will Change for The Better in 2022 (According To A Trend Forecaster)
Robbie Hodges is editor and forecaster at...
Curating Exhibitions: Walking, Talking, & Trees
Charlotte Call is the Founder of Sapling, a gallery in Mayfair exploring the...
Our Q&A with Ravinder Bhogal, Food Writer & Co-Founder Of Jikoni, The UK's First Independent Carbon Neutral Restaurant
Ravinder Bhogal is a food writer and Chef Patron and co-founder...
Our Q&A And Recipe From London Based, Korean-American Chef, Judy Joo
Judy Joo is a London based, Korean-American Chef and the founder of Seoul...
How To Create A Magical Tablescape
There is nothing more glorious than sitting down around a table for an...