With a stay at home order in place, the usual fortnightly visit to the hair salon for a haircut, trim, highlights, styling or color will be off-limits in the short term. What’s a curly girl to do? Fortunately, a five-step action plan you can implement at home will keep your curls healthy and flourishing until you can get back into your hairdresser's chair and we’re in a new post-COVID 19 world.
Given the current climate, there’s no better time to figure out how to care for your curls. It’s a fact that for curly hair to have definition, sheen, softness, body and bounce it has to be treated with the utmost care.
How is best to achieve optimal hair health, whether you have Type 2 - Waves, Type 3 - Curls or Type 4 - Coils? The goal is to get through quarantine using a tried and tested methodology e.g. The Curly Girl Method (CGM).
What is The Curly Girl Method?
CGM is an acronym for the Curly Girl Method. If you search on social media, you’ll find copious amounts of evidence of the success of CGM. Facebook groups of women with CGM success stories in addition to a ton of influencers that have gorgeous healthy curls.
The Curly Girl Method, was formulated by Lorraine Massey (previously of Devachan) in her 2011 book “Curly Girl: The Handbook” she illustrates and explains how to care for curls utilizing best practices.
The steps to take whilst quarantining are:
Cleanse & Condition
It’s critical to make sure your scalp is cleansed regularly to prevent hair follicles becoming clogged, and then following up with a conditioner which is essential for moisturized curls.
- Use a cleanser that doesn’t include harmful parabens (that cause health issues) that coat the hair follicle
- There should be no sulfates in the cleanser (some are harsh cleansers) they can be damaging to hair and health
- Watch out for conditioners that have silicones in the ingredient list they will coat the cuticle layer leading to dry hair
- Regular cleansing and conditioning at home will ensure hair is healthy and will thrive until your next salon visit
Natural Hair Products for Curly Hair
No Brushing or Combing Curls
One facet of CGM is the reduced use or elimination of hair of tools e.g. brushes, combs and straighteners.
- Haircare tools can cause damage to the cuticle layer (the outer layer of the hair shaft)
- Bristles of brushes, teeth of combs can chip, break and open the cuticle layer permanently, leading to hair breakage, frizz and split ends
Allow Curls to Hang Out
Just have curls hang out. There is no need to spend a great deal of time getting the perfect head of curls whilst at home, unless you have a zoom meeting scheduled or you’re creating the perfect Instagram picture.
- At the same time, your curls shouldn’t be neglected. Allowing your curls to do their thing, ultimately means reduced manipulation, less breakage and split ends
- It’s important if you’re not styling your curls for a day or two that hair is moisturized and hydrated with quality products. Luxju Natural Hair Products has award-winning hair styling products that will ensure curls remain soft, conditioned and have sheen for several days
Dyeing, coloring and bleaching hair can be the cause of hair breakage, split ends, frizz, and dull hair. Permanent hair color contains ammonia and peroxide that permanently alter the internal hair structure.
- It’s essential that color is applied by a qualified professional with the requisite skills reducing the possibility of hair damage
- It’ll be tempting to try hair color at home as roots grow in, but if you're not going out does it really matter?
- If you attempt to color your hair at home choose brands without harmful chemicals. Semi permanents are a great option until your able to make your next appointment
It’s important for your emotional well being to have your crowning glory look great. As you maintain the body of curls you and your stylist have cultivated over the years, you can easily do your part at home.
The Nourishing Curly Hair Collection is a haircare range of organic and natural products. When curly hair is undefined, dry, frizzy and has split ends the Nourishing Hair Collection moisturizes, nourishes and supports the health of naturally curly hair. Your curly hair will ultimately have body, volume, definition, softness and sheen.