Mabes Makes: Grilled Courgette Rolls & Feta Chips
by Mabel Lloyd
These grilled vegetable rolls are really easy to make and look pretty impressive as part of a mezze or platter, especially when they’re stuffed with a delicious mixture of fillings and fresh herbs. I coat the slices of courgette in olive oil, salt and some crushed garlic to give them a lovely flavour. Feel free to get creative with the fillings too!
2 courgettes (aubergines also work well)
Approx 150g feta cheese
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic
Couple handfuls of fresh rocket
Fresh mint or parsley depending on which you prefer
1/2tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
- In a frying pan, cook two cloves of crushed garlic and the onion in a generous glugg on olive oil
- Very finely slice the pepper and add to the mixture, along with the dried herbs and season with salt and pepper
- Meanwhile, cook the couscous and season
- Stir the vegetables in with the couscous and add the fresh herbs, a couple handfuls of feta cheese and the rocket- a squeeze of lemon is also great at this stage
- Finely slice the courgette lengthways
- Mix crushed garlic with olive oil in a bowl and brush over the courgette slices
- Heat a griddle pan and add the thin slices of courgette a few at a time, cook on a high heat for about ¾ minutes on each side
- Once they are cooked, set to one side on a teatowel
- Spread the mixture over the slices and roll up!
FETA, OREGANO AND BASIL CHIPS
A lovely addition to a bbq or lunchtime spread, these chips are crispy and full of flavour. Inspired by a recipe by Ottolenghi!
3-4 maris piper potatoes
80ml sunflower oil
50ml olive oil
4 cloves garlic- finely chopped
Approx 150g feta cheese
2tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried basil
- Heat the oven 220C
- Wash the potatoes and cut into thin chip strips (approx 1.5cm wide)
- Boil the chips in salted water for about 4-5 minutes then drain and place in a baking tray
- Add the sunflower oil and season in salt, making sure they are well coated
- Bake in the oven for around 40-50 minutes until golden
- Heat a large frying pan with olive oil, the slices garlic and the dry herbs- fry on a medium heat for about 3-5 minutes
- Stir the chips in with the oil and garlic mixture, coating generously
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with feta and additional oregano
Shop the article
Mabes Makes: Easy Cheese Scones
A mouth watering, easy cheese scone recipe. Perfect served warm with butter....
How To Bring A Feeling Of Overseas Warmth Into Your Home
As an expat child, I bounced from country to country, picking up interior...
Jemima Sara x Terry de Havilland: Summer of Self-Love
British designer, artist and member of our Wolf & Badger...
How To Pack For Your Weekend Escape With Lucrezia Worthington
Lucrezia Worthington is a freelance travel journalist, social media manager...
Sustainable Style Tips: Summer Edition With Cassandra Dittmer
I have been hearing a lot of whispers of the roaring 20’s post-pandemic...